Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Midweek Food Musings: The Sweet Stuff of Sides--A Salad and a Rice

Many have asked about my salads and sides, and so here you have it...or some of it, anyway. Let's start with the salad:

Those who know me know that I'm a big sweet meets savory fan in many areas, and I think--at least in the salad department--I've created some converts!

The contrast of flavors and textures is also a key component in the salad. This one, which, my friends, is even good a day later, is a winner IF you like bleu cheese! (And if you don't, well, there's a whole wide world of cheeses that could go well here...including fresh mozzarella, Jarlsberg, and more!).

So, here are the components:
Frisée lettuce
Mixed baby greens
Persian cucumbers (smaller, sweet--and can be served with skin on!)
Gala apple
Fuji apple
Crumbled bleu cheese
Light balsamic vinaigrette

The important thing is to add the apple and bleu cheese not too long before serving.

Okay--moving on to sides. So, as I mentioned before, I had a few shrimp left over from gambas al ajillo from Saturday night's dinner. Here were my next ingredients to play with: cilantro on hand (sorry non-cilantro fans, but you know flat leaf parsley is an option!), red onion (always!), basmati rice, chicken broth,  and some frozen sweet corn.






So, first I made my rice: I sautéed a half a red onion in a bit of olive oil with a sprinkle of salt. I added 2 cups of rice, and tossed to coat. Then I added 4 cups of chicken broth (I had some--but homemade is always first choice!) and let cook (covered!) for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, I caramelized the corn; I heated olive oil and a bit of butter, add the corn, and let those little kernels get nice and golden (honestly I could just eat them by themselves; I am a huge corn fan...). Then I just cut up the shrimp, and the fresh cilantro. I added that, along with the caramelized corn, tossed a bit, and served!

Both sides worked well with the main dish, Grilled Boneless Pork Chops, and I'm sure could work with many others!



No comments:

Post a Comment